Thursday 29 April 2010

Asparagus with sea salt & parmesan




Serves 2 - for a starter

a bundle of asparagus (allow 4-6 veg per person)
few parmesan shavings
flaked sea salt
4 tbsp melted butter
salt for cooking

Remove the bottom part of each asparagus by simply taking the end of the asparagus between your thumb and forefinger and bend until it breaks. The asparagus automatically breaks just where the woody part ends and the fresh, juicy asparagus begins. I prefer to do it this way, rather than cut it off by knife, because I don't need to worry about breaking off too much or too little. I always keep the woody bits and freeze them for later, to make a vegetable stock, that I can use when making asparagus risotto.

Boil for 3-5 minutes in salty boiling water, try to keep the heads over the water level, because they boil quicker than the rest of the veg. Drain, place on the plate, drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle with parmesan shavings and sea salt.

2 comments:

  1. I just made some asparagus too! Great idea to use some parmesan shavings with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasteofbeirut, sorry for delay, but I was on holiday, and simply did not notice your comment since I've come back. ;)

    I've entered your blog and I am very interested in some of your recipes, so thanks for leaving a comment!

    Regards! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!