Friday 18 June 2010

Hummus, flatbreads & review




As I mentioned few days ago I had the opportunity to test Kenwood Compact FP120 Food Processor (1.4 Litre). I use to have a proper, big machine, with an extra jug but it broke down twice and did not want it again. This is the reason why I have decided to get smaller one. I do not need a food processor to make the dough, as I use bread machine and I am happy with it. I do not need a jug, as I use a hand liquidizer. I needed new food processor to make bread crumbs, hummus or other dips, grating and slicing. I am extremely happy with my Kenwood mini chopper which I bought over a year ago and use it on everyday basis and it is still working fine, so I decided to get one of their food processors, but the compact one.

It comes with a blade, spatula, coarse grating and slicing attachment, whisker and a citrus press. There is only one thing that I will possibly miss – a fine slice and grate disk. It is dishwasher safe and it has a non slip feet. One speed and pulse work great for me.

I have used it for grating and slicing the veg and making hummus so far and all was working fine.

If you are used to bigger, better machines you will probably be disappointed but I think it is a little gem in the kitchen – cheap but cheerful, small, not too heavy and it takes up very little room on the work surface and storage. You should not expect it to do the same job as the more expensive options - clearly this is not for heavy duty work, but for small amounts it works fine. It is ideal for cooking for two. Possibly would be too small for family of four or more.

***

Now I tell you how we made ourselves feel like on Mediterranean Sea holiday again in the middle of Yorkshire. I am extremly happy with the weather in June, except from few days of rain we had really nice and warm days so far.

All we needed was a patio set, good wine and simple to make and tasty food to enjoy our evening. Especially we have a lot of fresh herbs in a huge clay pot and some lavender in the patio, so we did not need anything else. Perhaps we missed a warm sea breeze.




Basic hummus (quick version)

Serves 2-4

400g tinned chickpea, drained
tbsp tahini paste (I used dark one)
juice of one lemon
garlic clove (optional)
olive oil
chilli powder (optional)
salt

Place the chickpea, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt in a food processor and blend until thoroughly mixed and smooth at the same adding some olive oil to make it nice and smooth. If you prefer low fat option use some water from a tinned chickpea, but surely a good quality olive oil makes real, tasty hummus.

Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the hummus. Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well and sprinkle with chilli powder (optional). You can also garnish with some fresh herbs.

We had it with some homemade flatbread (Nigella Lawson’s recipe from “How to be a domestic goddess”), olives stuffed with sun dried tomatoes and some Spanish wine. Lots of wine… Isn’t a perfect dinner on a lovely summer night?




Flatbreads

Makes 6

For the dough:

500g strong white bread flour
7g (1 sachet) dried yeast
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
2 tbsp olive oil
approximately 300ml warm water

For the glaze:

1 large egg (I skip the egg)
1 tsp water
1 tsp plain yoghurt
nigella seeds to sprinkle


Place all the ingredients in a bread machine and use the “dough” programme. If you do not use the machine, combine the flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl and make a well. Dollop the yoghurt and oil into a jug and add warm water. Give a quick beat with a fork to combine, then pour this liquid into the dry ingredients, and mix with your hands or a wooden spoon, adding more liquid as needed, to form a firm but soft dough.

Turn out onto a floured surface and start kneading. Add more flour as needed until you have got smooth and elastic dough. Form the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with cling film or clean cloth and leave to rise for about an hour or so, until doubled in size. Remove the dough from the bowl or machine, punch down.

Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Form each of these 6 little pieces into an egg-shape and, one by one, roll them out to make them flat. Place on baking tray lined with some baking paper, cover with tea towel and leave to prove for 20 minutes, until puffy. Preheat the oven to 220ºC.

Beat the egg with the water and yoghurt – sometimes I skip the egg and use water and yoghurt only. Using a pastry brush, paint this over the breads. Sprinkle on the nigella seeds and bake in the hot oven for 8–10 minutes - the flatbreads should be golden.

Remove them from the oven and wrap immediately with a tea towel so that these breads do not dry up and get too crusty.

These are also beautiful next day reheated under a hot grill.

6 comments:

  1. Yummy - both hummus and bread! Have a nice day - I have to give a lift to Pascal (he's leaving for Paris today)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Magda. :) I love any hummus and make it with many different flavours such as sun dried tomatoes, sweet chilli sauce or roasted garlic.

    Hope you have a nice weekend! (even without Pascal ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to do hummus for a while now! I think I'll try it at my BBQ next weekend... Yours is beautifully photographed!
    And I love that you made the flatbread too, I might have to try that if I'm brave enough xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou, tahank you!

    Hummus is so easy to make and these shop bought are nowhere near a homemade.

    You do not have to be brave to make those breads! :) Perhaps a proving is time consuming, but overall these are easy to make and can impress your guests. I make them everytime we have BBQ as they go very well with dips and grilled meat. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hummus! It's always in my house :).
    My Turkish friend eats it with rice. I like with naan. Yummy!I must say that I love Middle East and Greek cuisine.
    Karolinko photos of food in your blog is so beautiful! I wish to know how to do them :).
    Greetings from Liverpool i wielkie buziaki za milego posta o kuraku :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hummus of any type. I must have tried at least 10 differen ones. :) These are flatbreads, not naans, which are slightly different. But I love naans anyway. ;) Thanks for visitig and leaving comment, Aleksandra! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!