Tuesday 20 July 2010

Sticky pork ribs



There are some recipes that I fall in love from the first sight. It is a picture that grabs my attention first, then just a quick look on the ingredients and I already know this is an ideal recipe really close to the culinary nirvana.

It was similar last Saturday when after a lazy breakfast I was flicking through the latest “Good Food” magazine, that I found in my post box. I could not stop thinking about these sticky ribs. Actually I am not a big ribs lover but my partner says I cook excellent pork ribs in sauerkraut (Polish dish). However I do not cook them very often and only if he wishes to eat some. But this time it was different. I knew I have to cook them as soon as possible.

I was right. It was culinary heaven and I have eaten all the meat leaving dry bones only not even thinking about my manicure that I have done an hour earlier. My fingers were red and sticky. It was a great eating experience. A real feast.

I think this is great recipe also because you can prepare it ahead and just roast it about 40 minutes before dinner, so it is ideal when you have friends coming for a dinner, or you want to prepare you dinner a day ahead.

I have changed the quantities of some sauce ingredients.

Sticky pork ribs

800g pork spare ribs
tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp smoked paprika
½ tsp hot chilli powder
250ml tomato passata
2 tbsp tomato puree
100ml cider vinegar or white wine vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
100g dark muscovado sugar


Preheat the oven to 130 C (fan). Place the ribs in an ovenproof dish, cover with water, cover with kitchen foil and bake for 1.5 hour. Remove from the oven, cool slightly and drain well. You can cover them and place in the fridge until you need them.

Fry the onion in the olive oil until soft, but not browned. Next add garlic, chilli powder and smoked paprika. Fry for another minute. Next add vinegar, tomato puree, passata, muscovado sugar, mix well and simmer over a low heat for about 10 minutes. You can use it straight away or keep it for later.

Preheat the oven to 200 C. Brush all the sauce all over the ribs and place on the baking tray. Roast for about 40 minutes, turning half way.

We had them with rosemary and olive roast new potatoes and spring cabbage cooked with tomato passata and fresh dill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!