Wednesday 28 March 2012

Homemade mayonnaises. Two. Well.. Four.

 

Shop bought mayonnaise has been getting worst for quite some time. It made me wonder why I don't make my own more often. It is easy to make and the only problem with it is that it has to be consumed within 5-7 days. I suppose it can be a down side of making my own every time I fancy some mayo, but on the other hand I don't buy ready cakes made with dried eggs so why should I compromise on the mayonnaise?

The secret of good mayonnaise are fresh eggs and using ingredients in a room temperature. You have to be also careful with adding the oil - just a drop by drop at the beginning and then little bit more, but still steady!

I remember when I was making my first mayonnaise using a hand balloon whisker. It was this moment when Mike Robinson, BBC chef walked into the kitchen. He was around shooting some program about game in British cuisine and came for a lunch to the pub and restaurant that I use to work in. He liked it so much, that he decided to come back for a dinner the same night. And here he was - standing in a front of my while I was mixing my first mayonnaise. He came to say hello to those who were cooking for him that night. I often wonder if I would die of a heart attack if it was one of Roux brothers (or their sons) walking into that kitchen. They are without a shadow of a doubt the masters of eggs. 

The basic recipe I am going to show you today come from "Eggs" by Roux and what I found very interesting there was also a recipe for a mayonnaise using whites instead of yolks. It is lower in fat but this is not what convinced me to make this version of mayonnaise but the fact that I wasn't leaving any white behind while making classic one. No leftovers - how nice, I thought and I made both. The one made with whites was not as stiff as the classic one, I would say it was fluffier. What a great base to make some flavoured variation! Here they are: two plain and my two flavoured mayonnaises.
 

Classic mayonnaise 

about 300ml 

2 egg yolks
1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
250ml sunflower oil (or other neutral such as grape seed oil)
2 tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice (or less/more up to your taste)
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Place egg yolks in a large bowl and add the mustard and some salt and pepper. Using electric hand or stand mixer or just a balloon whisk mix the yolks with the mustard until well mixed. Next add a drop of oil and mix all the time. Add next drop of oil only when the previous one is incorporated into the eggs. Whenthe mixture starts to thicken you may add little bit more oil at time, mixing all the time. When all oil in mixed into the eggs beat vigorously for about 30 seconds until the mayonnaise is shiny. Next add the lemon juice or vinegar and adjust the seasoning.

Refrigerate in a sealed jar and consume within 5-7 days.


Mayonnaise made with whites

about 300ml 

2 egg whites
1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
250ml sunflower oil (or other neutral such as grape seed oil)
2 tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice (or less/more up to your taste)
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Place egg whites in a large bowl and add the mustard and some salt and pepper. Using electric hand or stand mixer or just a balloon whisk mix the whites with the mustard until well mixed and starts to thicken little bit. Next add a drop of oil and mix all the time. Add next drop of oil only when the previous one is incorporated into the eggs. When the mixture starts to thicken you may add little bit more oil at time, mixing all the time. When all oil in mixed into the whites beat vigorously for about 30 seconds until the mayonnaise is shiny. Next add the lemon juice or vinegar and adjust the seasoning.

Refrigerate in a sealed jar and consume within 5-7 days.

 


Tarragon mayonnaise

about 150ml

half of the classic mayonnaise made with the recipe above
1 tbsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped

Mix the tarragon into the mayonnaise and store in a fridge in a jar.


Light mayonnaise with capers and dill

about 150ml

half of the mayonnaise made with whites (recipe above)
1 tsp salted capers, rinsed
2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped

Mix all the above and store in a fridge in a jar.

Both versions will go very well with eggs, meat and fish dishes. The one made with whites is almost like a light cold sauce. 


While I am writing about the eggs. I buy eggs marked 0 or 1 only. Have a look at the photograph below showing you what quality of life had hens. Let them enjoy life while we enjoy their eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!