Monday 2 April 2012

Radish & rocket salad with Indian dressing


Radishes mean spring to me. Perhaps like me you would like to dress them differently this spring? I have this strong craving to change my meals and some pieces of my wardrobe this spring. I bought myself rather skinny (!), bright (!!) and ankle length (!!!) trousers last week and I have an eye on pink (!) dress. Would you believe? I recommend this simple yet different salad with very interesting dressing. I found the recipe for this dressing in "The Food of India. A journey for food lovers" but I have changed it slightly and used whatever ingredients I found in the fridge and what I fancied this particular day. This is the result.

Serves 2

about 200g radishes, quartered
2 large handfuls of rocket
1 tbsp sunflower oil 
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp black onion seeds (nigella)
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp salt 
pinch of asafoetida
1 tbsp lemon juice

Mix the rocket and the radishes and place in a serving bowls.

Place the oil and the cumin seeds together with black onion seeds and leave covered over a medium heat. Wait until the seeds start to pop, then add the turmeric, salt and asafoetida. Fry for about 10 seconds and remove from a heat. Add lemon juice, stir and set aside to cool down.

When cooled down use dressing to dress the leaves and radishes and serve.

2 comments:

  1. can u please tell me what do we call rocket salad or argula leaves in telugu , i can't go to the veg market and ask them with those scientific names...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you should try Google translator? I have no idea. Latin name for it is Eruca sativa.

      Delete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!