Friday 11 March 2011

Coffee & brandy crème brûlée




Do you remember “Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain”? When I saw this film I felt incredibly happy that there is actually someone who likes to put the whole hands in a bag full of pulses, but also the crème brûlée scene put a big smile on my face.

I adore this dessert, mainly because of its crunchy topping. If I could only give you an example of the sound it makes when I pierce it with a spoon! I love the smell of burned sugar and it makes my mouth water but also this lovely creamy centre that melts in my mouth and makes a good contrast to this sweet – bitter topping. For me it is perfection!

So far I was very careful with experimenting with this classic dessert and I only made lemon or lime version, but now I decided to go little bit further and try something new.

The result was very good, especially for coffee lovers, for me – I think the classic vanilla one is still the best one; however I found it very tasty. Next time I will swap instant coffee for a strong espresso and use Demerara sugar.

I have adapted a recipe from "Crème brûlée" by Lou Seibert Pappas – used more brandy, less coffee and golden caster sugar.






Serves 6


3 tsp instant coffee
2 tbsp hot water
500ml double cream
6 large egg yolks
about 150ml golden caster sugar + some more to sprinkle on top
4 tbsp brandy

Heat the oven to 140 C.

Dissolve the coffee in the hot water and mix with brandy and then with cream.

In a separate bowl whisk the sugar with egg yolks until pale and fluffy.

Add the cream with coffee and brandy to the egg yolks and sugar and mix well.

Pour the mixture in 6 ramekins and place them in an ovenproof dish. Fill the dish with hot water, so the ramekins are halfway in water. Bake for about 35 minutes, they should still be bit wobbly in the middle.

Remove from the oven, leave it to cool down and then cool in a fridge for at least 2 hours, up to 2 days.

Before serving sprinkle with little sugar and burn it using a blowtorch.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely twist for a brule - looks yum ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tastes as good as it looks, Cinabar. :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!