Wednesday 23 March 2011

Red lentil hummus



One, two, three. Two... Hummus today! A different one and some of my memories of classic hummus.

When I was still on a university together with a group of my friends we planned our holiday, on Polish seaside. Two of us tried to get fitted and get rid of some excess of fat so we were biking every night, sweating and burning calories. After one of my sessions I asked my friend if he would like to eat anything. He look puzzled: eating after we managed to burn some calories? I have explained to him that I have an excellent rye wholemeal bread and some hummus, so we will be nice and healthy mealafter our workout. I have been making hummus for many years so at that time I didn't realise that somebody can actually not recognize this dip. He didn't and looked at me like I was trying to poison him. I explained to him that it is a dip made with chickpea. The laughed his head off! He simply though the word chickpea is very funny. Anyway... He had some and enjoyed it, I have to ask him if he still thinks that chickpea is funny word. For sure he is not a hummus virgin anymore.

This hummus is made with red lentils and is as delicious as a chickpea one. Perfect for using some cooked leftovers of lentils.


200g red lentils
juice of two limes
tsp of ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground chilli
1/4 tsp turmeric
tbsp tahini paste (I used dark one)
3 tbsp groundnut oil
salt

Cook the lentils accordingly to producer's instructions, drain and leave it to cool down.

Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and whiz until smooth.

Store in a fridge in an airtight container. It is better to chill it before serving and it can be quite runny just after whizzing and it has nicer consistency after chilling.

1 comment:

  1. Wandering through here from a beautiful Pin.. tried my hand at a similar take on lentil hummus and it was widely successful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment. Thank you!